I wanted to post this short .mp3 file I made an hour ago. I am getting much better at this three-mic recording thing. However, this time, it's on my classic maples, and I ported (gasp!) my bass drum. The port is actually really small, just big enough to get the D112 mic into it, and the mic is actually pointing at the shell, and not directly at the batter head. My overhead is my AKG C214, and it's directly over head, two stick lengths up right in the center of the bass drum and batter hoop. There is a SM57 on the snare, it's roughly three-inches up over the drum edge pointing towards the center of the head.
There is some reverb applied to the overhead mic, but none on the other two mics. EQ was used to actually remove low frequency on the overhead and snare mic. The bass drum mic I boosted the highs a little a pulled the lows back. The program I record into is your basic GarageBand on a new MacBook Air running the Yosemite OS. My interface is the Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 USB interface that can take up to four microphones. A very nice box!
I was kinda' proud of the sound I got so I thought I'd share it. This is all a work in progress though. I'm sure it can be made to sound better. But it's nice to know I can get this sound with not a lot of work. And I know having the correct mics (and good mics) in the right places really helps. My next experiment will involve having the overhead mic on a stand a little above my head, behind me over my left shoulder. I've seen both Jojo Mayer and Steve Jordan do this without an overhead so I want to see what that's all about. Enjoy!
BTW - I was thinking of entering this in the "Hit Like A Girl" contest, but I guess there's some technicalities I'd have to overcome ;)
There is some reverb applied to the overhead mic, but none on the other two mics. EQ was used to actually remove low frequency on the overhead and snare mic. The bass drum mic I boosted the highs a little a pulled the lows back. The program I record into is your basic GarageBand on a new MacBook Air running the Yosemite OS. My interface is the Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 USB interface that can take up to four microphones. A very nice box!
I was kinda' proud of the sound I got so I thought I'd share it. This is all a work in progress though. I'm sure it can be made to sound better. But it's nice to know I can get this sound with not a lot of work. And I know having the correct mics (and good mics) in the right places really helps. My next experiment will involve having the overhead mic on a stand a little above my head, behind me over my left shoulder. I've seen both Jojo Mayer and Steve Jordan do this without an overhead so I want to see what that's all about. Enjoy!
BTW - I was thinking of entering this in the "Hit Like A Girl" contest, but I guess there's some technicalities I'd have to overcome ;)
Quickie .mp3 demo - Getting better!
0 commentaires:
Enregistrer un commentaire