Extreme Isolation Phones

lundi 16 mars 2015

I've responded to some isolation phones posts with less-than-glowing reviews of the Extreme Isolation phones, based on my previous experience with them maybe 6 or 7 years ago. My phones of choice for many years have been the GK UltraPhones, and I always swore by them.



A few weeks ago, Al's monitor engineer asked if I'd heard of the phones, saying that they rate at a higher output than my phones, and that would help him back off the amps and reduce clipping for me. I explained that I had tried them before and wasn't impressed, but in the spirit of fairness, I would investigate them again.



I read some reviews that said the headband broke easily, so I decided to write the company and ask about that. They assured me that the headband problem had been fixed, and also that the elements were improved. Further, the latest product is in a cardboard box with a sleeve around it (as opposed to 2 versions of a printed box that I've seen in stores.) After several emails, my skepticism was alleviated, and ordered a pair of EX-29 phones from them, just to make sure I didn't get a store's (or Amazon's) old stock. And the price was right: a discount and free shipping, no tax!



Unfortunately, it was downhill from there.



The output is lower than my UltraPhones, so they’re not going to solve the power/clipping problem.



The sound is very mid-rangey, compared to my phones which have better highs and lows (I have a full-range mix.) I didn't like the sound then, and I don't like it now.



Isolation is crucial, and I didn’t feel like they were hugging my head (I keep my hair very short for a snug fit.) That's a little odd, because I remember the old ones were pretty snug. Maybe the improved headband doesn't have quite enough grip.



And because there’s a cord in each earcup - instead of the customary stereo cord attached to the left earcup - I have to put my phones on from behind, which I find to be very awkward. During a Weird Al show, I take my phones on & off over a dozen times, and that constant extra coordination is going to drive me crazy... 5 nights a week... during the upcoming 5 month tour... and beyond.



There's just no way these phones will work for me. I tried to be fair, but this 2nd chance only confirmed that I had it right all along with the UltraPhones.



Of course, sound quality and fit and how they go on your head is very subjective, and your mileage may vary. If you have their phones and dig them... that's cool.



Bermuda

Extreme Isolation Phones

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

Labels