Hi guys, I've been interested in drumming for a while and I've finally started to take it seriously. I got pretty good at rock band drums (yeah....) a few years back, and now I'm starting to build a foundation and work up to composing/performing! I'm at university so getting good gear and transporting it around will be a little problem, but I'll figure something out.
In terms of my tastes, I mostly prefer indie / alt music (the strokes, animal collective, deerhunter, etc.), but also stuff like Tool. Not really jazz for now, and not really death metal or anything. Also, my favorite drummer right now is Greg Saunier from Deerhoof. I just saw him live a few days ago! (skip to 3:10).
I'm not really a musical person (math/computer science, actually), but I have lots of experience learning new things so I think I might be able to compensate for it. I've started learning 4-Way Coordination as per the recommendation of a friend, and it's going great so far. Over the next month or so I'm going to get my fundamentals with this book and trying to play along to my favorite songs.
I was told to look into Stick Control in addition to 4-Way Coordination. Will these two be sufficient for a technical foundation, or are they lacking (or too in depth)? I'm trying to make sure I don't have any holes or bad habits, but also be as efficient as possible while I learn.
With all that said, it's nice to have found this community of drummers and I look forward to hearing from you guys!
EDIT: Oh, and for my kit, the plan was to look on craigslist for a used mid-quality kit for <$300 preferably. I'd prefer to start minimal: snare, hi-hat, bass, floor tom, ride. Is there a better plan than this? Remember I'm a student!
In terms of my tastes, I mostly prefer indie / alt music (the strokes, animal collective, deerhunter, etc.), but also stuff like Tool. Not really jazz for now, and not really death metal or anything. Also, my favorite drummer right now is Greg Saunier from Deerhoof. I just saw him live a few days ago! (skip to 3:10).
I'm not really a musical person (math/computer science, actually), but I have lots of experience learning new things so I think I might be able to compensate for it. I've started learning 4-Way Coordination as per the recommendation of a friend, and it's going great so far. Over the next month or so I'm going to get my fundamentals with this book and trying to play along to my favorite songs.
I was told to look into Stick Control in addition to 4-Way Coordination. Will these two be sufficient for a technical foundation, or are they lacking (or too in depth)? I'm trying to make sure I don't have any holes or bad habits, but also be as efficient as possible while I learn.
With all that said, it's nice to have found this community of drummers and I look forward to hearing from you guys!
EDIT: Oh, and for my kit, the plan was to look on craigslist for a used mid-quality kit for <$300 preferably. I'd prefer to start minimal: snare, hi-hat, bass, floor tom, ride. Is there a better plan than this? Remember I'm a student!
College kid getting into drums - first steps?
0 commentaires:
Enregistrer un commentaire