How to feel the tempo after 2 bar count off ?
Ok...
- big band ( >20 musicians)
- sight reading .. mostly for a first time (a prima vista)
- Band director counts 2 bars ....
- me - playing a drums
And ....,
I have a problem to keep the the tempo given by Leader.
Even If i heard the tune before, the tempo given by Leader is not always the same.
I have keep that tempo.
I have to read, listen to other musicians (accents, set up, fills, etc) and finally ... my
time is not solid. I can slower or rush and I even don't realize it !!!
The problem is - other notice it :(
With easy tune .... if we play for a second time ... its easier,
but we are not going to play it once more cos it is easy :) (like Count Basie, Duke Elington ...etc)
The difficult songs (ex. Gordon Goodwin, Bob Mintzer) I have to look in scores and think about what to play,
and again not think about time.
I have a book called "big band at first sight" but my question is beyond that.
If i practice at home ... there is a silence, I can focus on and count by myself - and everything is ok.
It is typical for Big Band to play hundreds of songs live and with seldom rehearsals.
On a gig between songs I have only time to find the right sheet of notes.
How do you deal with it ?
How to focus in a seconds and play it .... the best you can ?
How to feel the tempo after 2 bar count off ?
Ok...
- big band ( >20 musicians)
- sight reading .. mostly for a first time (a prima vista)
- Band director counts 2 bars ....
- me - playing a drums
And ....,
I have a problem to keep the the tempo given by Leader.
Even If i heard the tune before, the tempo given by Leader is not always the same.
I have keep that tempo.
I have to read, listen to other musicians (accents, set up, fills, etc) and finally ... my
time is not solid. I can slower or rush and I even don't realize it !!!
The problem is - other notice it :(
With easy tune .... if we play for a second time ... its easier,
but we are not going to play it once more cos it is easy :) (like Count Basie, Duke Elington ...etc)
The difficult songs (ex. Gordon Goodwin, Bob Mintzer) I have to look in scores and think about what to play,
and again not think about time.
I have a book called "big band at first sight" but my question is beyond that.
If i practice at home ... there is a silence, I can focus on and count by myself - and everything is ok.
It is typical for Big Band to play hundreds of songs live and with seldom rehearsals.
On a gig between songs I have only time to find the right sheet of notes.
How do you deal with it ?
How to focus in a seconds and play it .... the best you can ?
0 commentaires:
Enregistrer un commentaire