Until 3 years ago I scoffed at the idea of buying used stuff and I was maybe a bit snobby about low-mid range gear.
Then a good experience with a used kit opened my mind a little... And working with stockbrokers must have tripped something because for the last few months I've bought and sold a bunch of things and haven't really spent much if I balance my books.
I know what things are worth and I haggle to buy them somewhere below that figure.. And I can often sell them on at a premium if I clean them up and present them professionally. Usually you can find gems bundled among beginner stuff too. Or brand new heads to poach.
Example - found a tornado kit online for peanuts but the catch was it had an almost new sensitone aluminium elite and tama pedal. The guy just didn't know or care about what he had or what it was really worth. I kept the good bits and flipped the kit at a profit.
My 1st stage custom - bought a full kit, sold the beginner cymbals, kept the awesome hardware and sold the shells for more than I paid for the whole kit. 2nd stage custom - was just shells but turned a profit.
I'm about to pick up another one which has giant beat cymbals, a nice cymbal bag and while I'm laying $750 down, I know I can keep all thè stands, the giant beats, the cymbal bag and make most of my money back on the shells. If I decide I don't want the giant beats I'll just make some easy cash on them. And I have a second set of those awesome Yamaha single braced stands for gigs/home use.
Anyway I'm not bragging, the main point is I have been able to try lots of new things, accumulate good gear, replace all my old worn out stuff and it's just a fun little hobby to keep my racing mind occupied. And I'm not too greedy as to the profit I might make on something, it's more that I hunt for bargains.
Also picked up that scratched up 6 pce gretsch for peanuts.. I could probably double my money without doing anything but I'm going to wrap it, use it as a house kit for a new residency gig my band scored and I'll get way more $$$ whenever I feel like it.
I'm sure there are a few guys on here into this stuff. Feel free to share your cool stories/wisdom.
Gear hunters
Then a good experience with a used kit opened my mind a little... And working with stockbrokers must have tripped something because for the last few months I've bought and sold a bunch of things and haven't really spent much if I balance my books.
I know what things are worth and I haggle to buy them somewhere below that figure.. And I can often sell them on at a premium if I clean them up and present them professionally. Usually you can find gems bundled among beginner stuff too. Or brand new heads to poach.
Example - found a tornado kit online for peanuts but the catch was it had an almost new sensitone aluminium elite and tama pedal. The guy just didn't know or care about what he had or what it was really worth. I kept the good bits and flipped the kit at a profit.
My 1st stage custom - bought a full kit, sold the beginner cymbals, kept the awesome hardware and sold the shells for more than I paid for the whole kit. 2nd stage custom - was just shells but turned a profit.
I'm about to pick up another one which has giant beat cymbals, a nice cymbal bag and while I'm laying $750 down, I know I can keep all thè stands, the giant beats, the cymbal bag and make most of my money back on the shells. If I decide I don't want the giant beats I'll just make some easy cash on them. And I have a second set of those awesome Yamaha single braced stands for gigs/home use.
Anyway I'm not bragging, the main point is I have been able to try lots of new things, accumulate good gear, replace all my old worn out stuff and it's just a fun little hobby to keep my racing mind occupied. And I'm not too greedy as to the profit I might make on something, it's more that I hunt for bargains.
Also picked up that scratched up 6 pce gretsch for peanuts.. I could probably double my money without doing anything but I'm going to wrap it, use it as a house kit for a new residency gig my band scored and I'll get way more $$$ whenever I feel like it.
I'm sure there are a few guys on here into this stuff. Feel free to share your cool stories/wisdom.
0 commentaires:
Enregistrer un commentaire